Hello there!

My photo
My name is Susan, and Designs by Prater is what you could call my creative outlet that pulls together my photography, art and graphic design endeavors! The most important thing you should know about me is that my life revolves around my God and my Savior Jesus Christ, my family (especially my husband Todd, son JD, and puppy Lexie), family and friends. Other than that, I am pretty much obsessed with photography, Coca-Cola, and the color green (and all shades of green for that matter, especially teal). I love sports but cannot play them worth a lick. I would not trade my time as a college student at Mississippi State for anything in the world. The friendships and memories made there will stick with me forever...Hail State and Go Dogs! And I am very picky about my chocolate chip cookies, grilled cheeses, and shaved ice (gotta be SnoBiz watermelon flavor).

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To Sell or Not to Sell...

...digital files. Actually, that was NEVER the question...because the answer to that is ‘TO SELL’. The real question, however, for me has always been ‘How to Sell’. Trying to find the magic number that reflects the proper worth of a digital file is a bit tricky for me. And identifying how much you want to or can invest in an assortment of prints, products, and/or digital files can be a bit tricky for you. You've already spent money on the portrait session itself and you want to have access to those digital images, in this digital day and age. I totally agree and have NO problems offering them!

So I begin the task of determining a price that properly reflects their value, as with each product we offer. What do I mean by that? Well, the price should reflect the time I have put into education and equipment, practicing my technique and brainstorming new ideas, editing the final images and getting them ready to present to a client, and any time being pulled away from other things or people that also deserve my time and attention.

Because you see, as much as I LOVE photography and Designs by Prater, 'photographer' is only one of the many hats I wear as 'client' is only one of the many hats you wear. And as much as I long for you to know me as a photographer, I also want you to know me as someone who cherishes every Sunday, Wednesday, and all our other hilarious and spirit-filled outings with the wonderful students in my youth group. I hope you know me as someone who purposefully invests in my relationship with my husband and being the best wife I can be to him. I hope you see someone who has placed everything in its rightful place UNDER a personal relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ!

PLEASE don't misunderstand me here...I pray you truly understand that the time I take to run this photography venture (dream of mine) is VERY special to me and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE recording your memories and presenting to you a quality product that you will CHERISH for generations to come. When you book a session or wedding with me, you have me hook, line, and sinker! And I really do look forward to getting to know you better...and all the many hats you wear! :) I just wanted to take a moment of time on my blog to better explain that I APPRECIATE you investing in me and that I am always looking to see how I can offer more value to YOU.

SO...on that note, I have modified my prices for individual digital files and DVD's of complete digital files from a session, as well as created 2 versions of the FOCUS portrait session that include the session fee + digital files on DVD for one price. You can view these new options on our updated PORTRAITS and INVESTMENT pages (linked in the above navigation menu).

And because every post needs a photo and I didn't include one in the last post (shame on me!), below is one of my faves from one of our recent snow/ice days! If you look closely you can see the cross on top of our church building through the icy branches. See the rest of them HERE at my proofing site!

snow day screencap

post signature
Fan Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails