Hello there!

My photo
My name is Susan, and Designs by Prater is what you could call my creative outlet that pulls together my photography, art and graphic design endeavors! The most important thing you should know about me is that my life revolves around my God and my Savior Jesus Christ, my family (especially my husband Todd, son JD, and puppy Lexie), family and friends. Other than that, I am pretty much obsessed with photography, Coca-Cola, and the color green (and all shades of green for that matter, especially teal). I love sports but cannot play them worth a lick. I would not trade my time as a college student at Mississippi State for anything in the world. The friendships and memories made there will stick with me forever...Hail State and Go Dogs! And I am very picky about my chocolate chip cookies, grilled cheeses, and shaved ice (gotta be SnoBiz watermelon flavor).

Monday, September 28, 2009

Operation: Provide Hope - Commence!

Wow...can you believe the drop in temperatures we have experienced in the past 24 hours?! We just left the softball fields not too long ago and everyone was in sweatpants and long sleeves carrying blankets and asking for hot chocolate. Fall is officially here, and I love it! And the colors of autumn make for great backdrops for pictures...hint hint!! ;)

But in all seriousness, too, I have been wanting to remind everyone about our fall MINI sessions we'll be having on Sunday, October 11 in Collierville as part of Images for a Cure. 100% of your $60 session fee would go to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation®, and you'd also receive a complimentary high-res download of your favorite image, as well as 10% off all other prints and products. This is a great way to honor anyone you know who either is fighting or has fought a courageous battle against cancer recently or in years past.

As for why I am doing this? It's not to book sessions or to sell photos. Yes, that would be a major plus for me, but this issue runs so much deeper for me right now. Let's backtrack a few months (and posts) ago...I shared that after participating in Relay for Life, my husband and I found out that his mother had been diagnosed with uterine cancer. Well, she had surgery to remove the cancer cells and she is recovering quite nicely. And then there is her neighbor, Beth. Beth went in to the health clinic on the Columbus Air Force Base in MS about a year ago because she was experiencing dehydration and was running a fever. It was in the next few weeks they learned that she had cancer of her liver. A year later, she is still fighting a courageous battle and some cells are growing back while new cells have formed. She is a fighter though; please keep her in your prayers and read more about their story here.

Well, fast forward again to when I made the announcement that I would be a participating photographer with Images for a Cure. It was only a few short weeks later that my mother-in-law had another scare at the doctor's office. During her regular mammogram and office check-up, they found some abnormalities in her breast that worry them...so she is undergoing additional tests today to see what all is going on. Having lost her mother to breast cancer when my husband was a toddler, I'm sure you can imagine how scared she has been (and our family) since the doctor told her a few weeks ago that he's found something else that worries him.

Now I know we all have these stories, too. Cancer has affected and will continue to affect us all in some form or fashion. But there is hope! There is hope in the bond that cancer survivors share. There is hope in the bond that family members of those who lost their battle with cancer share. There is hope that a cure is within reach! Please be a part of that hope. Please participate in some way in this fight alongside us. Whether it be booking a little ole mini session with yours truly, walking in your neighborhood's next Relay for Life, shopping at The Avenue at Carriage Crossing this weekend during their Pink Tie Event, donating directly to the American Cancer Society, or whether it is just praying for or cooking meals for a family you know who is fighting this tough battle. Please just find your place to get involved and provide hope! Thanks, and God bless :)

post signature
Fan Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails